The Basques, a culture that resists.

This semester I took a cfg on the Basques, and it has been what I have enjoyed the most.

I discovered that it is a culture with a long history and that they have managed to resist a lot of invasions without losing their customs or their particular language.

I learned that these were invaded by the Romans but did not undergo major changes than that of obtaining new tools.

Then they were threatened by the formation of two great powers, France and Spain but none of them have been able to break them in their quest of been and independent territory, even when Spain (that annex them), has maintained a constant persecution of those who seek their independence.

In that sense they empathize a lot with the Mapuche cause, since both have had to fight against the Spanish nation that has wanted to include them in their domains. In fact, it is believed that the Basques were the first to populate Europe, which gives them, like the Mapuches, the title of indigenous peoples.

All this make me proud of the origin of my last name :)



Comentarios

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares